Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Drive


Something about flashing red and blue lights brings out all of my anxiety disorders in a flurry: I feel the need to vomit, I believe that I have cancer, I start to pull out my hair, I find myself ugly, and my neck begins to twitch. This makes it all the harder to get myself out of a ticket, especially because police officers have no pity for red, twitching men, who are pulling out their hair whilst amid a flop sweat. And that is what I am reduced to: an entire mess.

I have been driving for years (legally, five years and a week, but illegally, longer that that). And I have always been pretty okay at it besides when I first started driving and I mistook the brake for the gas and almost ran my father’s truck through a warehouse wall (first time he cursed at me) or when my lanyard wrapped my foot to my accelerator and so I wasn’t able to use the brake (second time my father cursed at me).

Out of my siblings, I would consider myself one of the better drivers of the bunch, not that my siblings are bad drivers, but I do have friends that have sworn they have had multiple near death experiences while my sister was behind the wheel—in the same car ride. My brother, of course, was also known to be an amateur street racer through high school, where he would race to and from the local pizza shop for lunch.

Living in Utah really did wonders for my driving, and that is where I learned how to drive in snow. Nobody taught me really, but I taught myself, whilst driving down the freeway to pick my roommate up from the airport. It wasn’t snowy in Provo, so I didn’t expect it to be treacherous in Salt Lake City, but of course I was wrong.

I started getting nervous around the time that I couldn’t see anything out of my windows besides a sea of white. Trying to be a cautious driver, I decided that reducing my speed would be a good decision, so I tapped on my brakes, which did nothing for my speed, but did make my brakes grind against the pedal. Determined, I tried again, keeping my foot on the brake with much gusto, which in the snow makes you fish tail wildly out of control.  I was never told what to do in that situation. I didn’t know you are supposed to turn into the curve. I was oblivious to the fact that after your car spins out, the engine dies. And I definitely didn’t know how to cope with the oncoming traffic that I could see coming at me. So what I did was roll down my window and throw up.

I am still the only sibling to have not hit any animals whilst driving, although that is not for lack of trying on the animals’ part. They seem attracted to my wheel wells, as if they are just too depressed with life and just want to end it under the tire of my dinky, little truck. Most times I swerve away, refusing to be the Kevorkian to a rabbit, a possum, a cat, a squirrel.

My first time seeing an owl was when I nearly hit one in the middle of the road, driving amidst the fog. After seeing a strange tumble weed in the road, I started to merge over, only to notice that the tumbleweed was not what it originally resembled, but was actually an owl, which I only missed by a few feet. What was an owl doing in the middle of the road; wings drooped at its side, head winding back and forth? Trying to kill itself, that’s what.

Now, I am no saint at driving, and received two speeding tickets within two weeks of each other when I first moved up to Utah. And while both speeding tickets, I still believe are unjust, I paid them anyway. I am also notorious for texting while driving, and the occasional road rage, but I have never been ticketed in any occasion that actually warranted a ticket. The first ticket, I was lost in the middle of nowhere after my exit was blocked off on the freeway. My second ticket occurred when I didn’t slow down quickly enough from a commercial to a residential zone (I had already made it through a roundabout and almost a second one before the cop turned on his lights). And my third occurred whilst hanging up my phone while driving.

I don’t enjoy speaking on the phone. I actually detest it to be honest. I sound like Snagglepuss, I get nervous, and I was scarred as a child because I was always mistaken as my mother when I answered the phone. But because I love my family, I call them almost daily, on my car ride from work. But I do so with my phone on speaker, tucked into my visor, which I consider to be hands free. I had a quick conversation with my mother, grabbed my phone to hang up, tucked my phone into my crotch, and that is when I saw the lights in my rearview mirror. And that is when I receive the flop sweat of woe.